If you and your spouse have decided on divorce and are looking for an alternative way to resolve your dispute, mediation may be your best option for moving forward.
In divorce mediation, you and your spouse will negotiate the details of your divorce with the assistance of a neutral third party.
If all goes well, you’ll find common ground to draft your divorce settlement and, in the process, save time, stress, and avoid costly court and litigation fees.
How to find the right Fresno and San Diego mediator
Choosing the right mediator can sometimes mean the difference between reaching a settlement or having to start over, so it’s important to find the mediator who’s right for you.
Listed below are some tips and factors to consider when choosing a Fresno and San Diego mediator:
- Reputation. Ask all potential mediators for a list of references. Since the mediator will likely provide you with a list of references from other professionals who have had a positive experience referring their own clients to the mediator or working directly with them, this will help you get a better overall picture of the mediators reputation in the community and it will give you some idea of the activity level of the mediator.
- Experience. The amount of experience can vary drastically between mediators. Be sure to check how long the mediator has been working, as well as how many mediations and what type of mediations they’ve handled. Also, some mediators have had very little training, so it’s important you look into education and training levels by reviewing their website or asking to review their Curriculum Vitae if that information is not online.
- Ethics. All mediators should be able to explain their ethical standards or code of conduct and you can request a copy in writing. You should also ask the mediator to divulge any relationships they have with other parties that could affect their performance.
- Communication skills. Speak with a mediator first before hiring them. Look for someone who has strong communication skills, is a good listener and problem solver, and most importantly, someone who makes you feel comfortable.
- Referrals. One of the first things you should do is ask around. Do you have any friends or associates who went through the mediation experience and can recommend a good mediator? Word of mouth is one of the best ways to find the right mediator.
- Let your spouse choose. Many people recommended you let your spouse choose the mediator. By doing so, it shows you’re sincere about reaching a settlement, and that you’re willing to compromise.
Contact an experienced divorce mediator in Fresno and San Diego
If you’re looking for an experienced mediator in Fresno, contact The Law Office of Rebecca Medina today.
We have experience handling mediations in Fresno, and can help you and your spouse get on the right path towards resolving your divorce.