COVID-19 Update

The Law Office of Rebecca M. Medina is open and we are available to help both existing and potential clients. In order to ensure your safety and that of the community, we are offering  telephone and video-conferencing appointments.

Now Serving All of Central Valley and San Diego Counties!

Learn about Divorce Options™ Workshop!



Spouse Not Cooperating
During Divorce

What Should I Do if My Spouse Is Not Cooperating During Mediation?

Divorce mediation works best if both parties are equally invested in achieving an agreement outside of the courtroom. This requires some degree of cooperation on the part of each spouse. However, in some cases, this cooperation is hard to come by, especially if there has been a significant breakdown in communication and one spouse simply refuses to be cordial with the other.
Divorce mediators are highly skilled at creating a positive environment for constructive discussions and guiding people toward agreements, even in difficult situations. You should do everything you can to make a good faith effort at communicating with your spouse. Both of you should focus on your children first and foremost, and remain civil.
However, in some cases, you might simply need to abandon the mediation process and head to the courtroom. Here are a few examples of such situations.

This website provides general information and nothing contained herein should be construed as giving legal advice. Every situation is unique so the information contained on this website may not apply to your particular situation. You should not act upon any information in this website without seeking advice from a lawyer. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The contents of this website may be an “Advertisement” as defined by The Rules of Professional Conduct and California Business and Professions Code. The information contained in this website is not intended for residents outside the state of California.

Or fill out the form below: