Many couples wonder if mediation is the best path to take when getting a divorce. Although mediation can potentially save you time and money, there are a variety of factors to consider when deciding if mediation is right for you. First and foremost, mediation is intended for couples who believe they can work together to get the desired results. That means you must be willing to listen, communicate honestly, and compromise with your spouse in mediation.
Preparing for mediation
Once you decide on mediation, you should prepare for the process in order to increase your chances of success. Here are some tips that can help you prepare for mediation, and others to keep in mind throughout the process:
- Drop the old arguments. Mediation is not a debate. If you let old problems and arguments take over the mediation process, it will be much harder to come to a final settlement. Remember, you are not trying to win arguments or rehash the issues in your marriage. Rather, you are trying to come to a fair and just settlement that will work for you and your spouse.
- Be willing to negotiate in good faith. This means being honest, open-minded, willing to listen, communicate, and even compromise with your spouse.
- Don’t be insulting. Emotions can run high during a divorce but insulting your spouse during the process is not going to help you get what you want.
- Be prepared. Just like in a trial divorce, you should know what you want and be prepared to present your case using any necessary documents or evidence to back up your claims.
- Have realistic expectations. If you expect to get the house, car, kids, a large alimony check and everything in between, think again. Mediation is intended to work for both spouses, so you must be willing to be flexible and open-minded in the process.
- Try to put yourself in your spouse’s shoes. Trying to understand your spouse’s perspective can go a long way towards making a mediation successful.
- Focus on the future. Don’t focus on what went wrong with your marriage. Instead, concern yourself with what is the best way to move on from here.
Contact an experienced mediator for your divorce in Fresno
Are you considering using mediation for your divorce in Fresno? Contact The Law Office of Rebecca Medina today. We have experience handling Fresno mediations and will be happy to discuss your options moving forward so that you can make the decision that’s best for you and your family. Call The Law Office of Rebecca Medina today at (559) 324-5427. We can help you and your spouse resolve your divorce and get on with your lives.